Carpet First Aid Stain Treatment
Accidents will happen. If something gets spilled on your carpet, take prompt action to prevent staining. You will need some clean white absorbent cloth or tissue and four basic solutions listed below.
(Please check that you carpet is colourfast, and safe to clean by testing all solutions in an inconspicuous area before application)
1. Dry Cleaning Solution - Surgical Spirit
2. Detergent Solution - One teaspoonful of gentle detergent for washing woollens to half a pint (0.3litres) of water.
3. Detergent and vinegar Solution - Add one tablespoonful of white (not malt) vinegar to the Detergent Solution.
4. Ammonia Solution - One teaspoonful of branded household ammonia (available from hardware stores) to one cup of warm water.
Tackle the stains as follows:
1. Alcohol, Coffee, Tea, Liquid Foods and Urine. Blot up surplus spillage. Use Detergent Vinegar Solution. Work from the outer edge of the stain inwards, using a little at a time, blotting up with dry cloths frequently. See below for final rinse procedure.
2. Chocolate, Sweets, Blood, Glue, Egg, Ice Cream, Milk, Soft Drinks and Vomit. Scrape up excess with a blunt knife. Use a Detergent Solution starting at the outer edge. Blot Dry. Follow up with Ammonia Solution. Blot Dry. See Blow for final rinse procedure.
3. Solids, Fats, Tar, Chewing Gum, Oil, Ointment and Shoe Polish. Scrape up excess with a blunt knife. Use a Dry Cleaning Solution followed by Detergent and Vinegar. Blot Dry. See below for final rinse procedure.
4. Unknown stains. Scrape up or blot surplus spillage. Use a Dry Cleaning Solvent followed by clean Luke warm water. Blot dry. If further treatment is needed, use either Detergent or Detergent and Vinegar Solution. Blot dry. See below for final rinse procedure.
Final Rinse Procedure
This rinse procedure is applicable to all the above methods of stain removal. Simply mix one-part white vinegar and four parts water. Pour mixture into a spray bottle and spray over the stained area. Blot dampened area (do not rub) to remove excess moisture. Spread white kitchen towel (stacked8-9 sheets deep) over the affected area and place a weight, such as a book (in a clear plastic bag to prevent the pages getting wet) directly on top. This will help moisture residue to soak into the towels. Leave overnight and repeat if necessary.